Monday, October 4, 2010

French Silk Chocolate Pie

Have you read 'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett? If not, you must!

This is my attempt at Minny's chocolate custard pie. I think I'll be making this for book club this month.

My Mom says she's never had a french silk chocolate pie that she liked, but she LIKED this one. So there. It is very rich and sweet, so I added Cool Whip to balance the flavor.

I used a regular pastry crust, but think this would also be yummy in an oreo cookie crust or in individual ramekins without crust at all.

A standing mixer (KitchenAid) comes in handy with this recipe, since there is 10 minutes of mixing the eggs.



2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate (melted, then cooled)
1/2 cup butter, softened (it must be real butter)
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs (or egg substitute)*
1 tsp vanilla
1 prepared pie crust
Cool Whip (optional)
Chocolate shavings (optional)


Melt the chocolate in a pan over hot water, then let it cool.


Cream the softened butter and gradually add in the sugar.


Stir in cooled chocolate and the vanilla.


Add 1 egg. Mix for 5 minutes on medium speed.


Add the second egg. Mix for 5 minutes on medium speed.


Pour custard into prepared pie crust and chill for at least 2 hours.


Serve with Cool Whip and chocolate shavings.


*Obviously, if you are pregnant or have a problem with raw eggs, you should use a pasteurized egg substitute.

6 comments:

  1. Bless you!!! Since I will be missing book club, it's a great excuse to sample what you'll be having!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok what? The eggs are not cooked? hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eggs are never cooked in a mousse...nor a meringue. The Egg Beaters you buy in a carton are pasteurized (cooked) in processing, so you can use those if you like.

    Do you eat raw cookie dough? Same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only french silk pie I've had was ala Marie Callendar's. And THAT was delish! I can only imagine how yummy this would be...especially if it had a grasshopper crust. I'm all over it!

    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and I LOL at the "Chocolate Shavings - optional" How can chocolate be optional?? Ahhhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You don't have to use those nasty liquid eggs! There are many recipes that call for raw eggs and those substitues, which are full of sodium and citric acid to help them keep, don't allow for the best results. I have been using Davidson's Safest Choice pasteurized in the SHELL eggs for all my cooking. I don't worry letting my kids eat raw cookie dough. I don't worry about serving over easy eggs to family, nor do I worry when I make a mousse, meringue, caesar dressing and so on... Find out more for youself at safeeggs.com

    ReplyDelete