Sunday, June 20, 2010

Fried Green Tomatoes?

Did you know that a green tomato is just a tomato picked before it's ripe? While searching online for a good recipe, I discovered that many people don't know this...they are trying to figure out which type of tomato it is and where they can buy them.

Luckily for me, I can find green tomatoes at the farmer's market, since I live in a totally shaded yard that does not allow me to have my own garden.

Yesterday at the farmer's market, I chose 3 red tomatoes and 2 green tomatoes - Red for caprese and green so I could try to make fried green tomatoes. You really can't live in the South and NOT try fried green tomatoes and fried okra at least once.

Dare I say that my recipe probably rivals Sipsey's?!

FRIED GREEN TOMATOES

3 medium green tomatoes
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
2 eggwhites
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 tsp course ground salt
1/4 tsp course ground pepper
1/4 - 1/2 cup olive oil

1. Slice the tomatoes 1/4 to 1/2" thick (I preferred the thicker slices)

2. Dredge in flour
3. Dip into milk/egg white mixture
4. Dip into breadcrumb, cornmeal, salt and pepper mixture

5. Cook in 1/4 - 1/2 cup olive oil at medium heat until browned, turning once.
6. Drain on paper towels
7. Serve hot
I like mine dipped in fresh ranch dressing!

This is certainly not something I'll be adding to my regular menu (because it's fried), but it definitely was a delicious Southern treat!

5 comments:

  1. I guess if you only ever saw tomatoes in your grocery store, how would you know? How funny!

    I've got all the green tomatoes you'll ever need! I think I'm going to do this with zucchini tonight...gotta start getting creative now, so we don't get sick of it too quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This totally makes me crave onion rings or fried zuchinni. They look YUMMY. Definitely a
    "sometimes" food though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It tastes a lot like fried zucchini when you slice the tomatoes very thin. That's why I like the 1/2" thick slices...you could taste the tomato more. I made fresh ranch dressing for dipping. Yummm!

    @Meg - I read that the egg yolks can made them seem soggy, so I opted for just the whites to make them crispier. I think it worked well and I didn't miss the added fat and cholesterol of the yolk. Yeah, it's fried, but it's just olive oil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good. I've got four tomato plants in my yard, so I may give this a try.

    ReplyDelete