Sunday, October 5, 2008

Pumpkin Muffins

Can you bake without flour?

I've gotten in the habit of baking while listening to conference on the internet (it certainly keeps me more attentive than falling asleep on the sofa!). I've been excited to try a recipe my sister Natalie shared for Pumpkin Macadamia White Chip cookies, and bought all of the necessary ingredients yesterday. Although my flour canister was empty, I didn't buy flour because I have a 5 gallon bucket of it in my pantry....just needed to refill the canister.

So, I pulled out my 5 gallon bucket this morning and discovered it was FULL of weevils. I should've guessed as much. Even double bagging contents doesn't seem to keep those guys out anything. So, I tossed the entire contents into the garbage. I guess that's why it's worth paying a bit extra to buy it in sealed cans. And then I improvised.

Do you need flour to bake? Not when you make these little yummies.



I combined 1 yellow cake mix with 1 cup of pumpkin, a little cinnamon and some allspice. And 25 minutes later, voila! Yummy, moist pumpkin muffins. Yep, there's already one missing from that pan, because I ate it! A little dallup of Cool Whip put this little baby over the top.



I'm glad I have a party to take them to so I don't eat them all!

I froze the other cup of pumpkin so I can make those cookies later this month.

12 comments:

  1. those look yummy. save one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are brilliant! Those look absolutely delicious. I'm always amazed by the types of packaging the weevils are able to penetrate. Nasty little things. You came out on top though. That's Kasey 1, weevils, 0.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally thought you were out of town today! My parents wanted you to come up for dinner (and so did aaron and I of course). Now I am REALLY sad I didn't call you! Pumpkin muffins! Call me tomorrow man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh and I forgot to tell you that we ALSO discovered weevils in the flour today! I'm so glad I purchased an extra bag of flour for my rolls-just in case, since my house was cursed in the pest dept. this summer. We are still finding fruit flies in the trash can from that nasty pink dress from the neighbor.

    Hey we need to start a new show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for improvisation! Pumpkin muffins -- I'll have to write that one down. They would have been good with the chips in them, too! Funny that I made those cookies yesterday as well -- we were baking at the same time! Our family ate 3 dozen (how many did I eat? Not telling!) and took what was left to our neighbor (who is having surgery on her knee today).

    Did you know weevil larvae are in every bag of flour? Whether they are moving around or not just depends on how long it's been since the flour was ground. The only way to keep them from maturing is to put your flour in the freezer. Gross, I know, but I don't think that the cans even keep the weevils from maturing ..... they just die from lack of oxygen. I think Mom said once that they just add extra protein! Barf.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pumpkin anything... I'll have to give these a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, put the flour in the freezer for a day and it will kill the weevils. Nothing is worse than finding little bugs in flour, cherries, etc... Freaks me out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok I just read sara's comment and I think i WILL barf! Every bag?! Gross.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought about freezing the weevils and sifting them out, but then I didn't like the idea of sifting 25 lbs of flour and the mess it would make. I tossed it.

    Meg and Sara - it's too bad that even this new knowledge of weevil larvae in every bag of flour does not destroy my appetite for baked goods. If only...

    It's kind of like how the story of rats in movie theaters does not denegrate theater popcorn. Why, oh why?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Smart girl. Way to improvise! Don't forget to try the cookie recipe next time you have flour though! Seriously, so yummy. I love pumpkin and cool whip any form they take!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ewww, just read the rest of the comments. Going to put my newest bag of flour in the freezer RIGHT now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to try the recipes!

    Just a note-I have always put whole bay leaves in my flour and I have never had any trouble with little bugs. It could be just an old wive's tail and I've had great luck, but it has worked for me and they are cheap enough that it is worth a try!!

    ReplyDelete