Thursday, November 4, 2010

Chewy Carmel Corn

Carmel corn takes me back to my childhood. It seems like we made it every Halloween. Until last week, I hadn't made it in about 15 years. Now I remember what I've been missing!
Chewy Carmel Corn


1 cup unpopped popcorn
Pop popcorn -- I use a hot air popper
Place popcorn in the oven to keep it warm while making carmel.

In a medium sauce pan combine:

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup light karo syrup
2/3 cup fat free sweetened condensed milk
1 cup brown sugar

Cook on med/high heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat at 234 degrees. This is before the soft ball temp and keeps it chewy. If you let it go above 240 it will be more crunchy.

Add 1 tsp vanilla and stir.

Pour over popcorn and turn until mixed.

To make popcorn balls, put some butter on your hands to keep from sticking.
My favorite method is to put a sandwich bag over each hand, then rub a little butter on both bags. When I'm done I toss the bags in the garbage and my hands aren't sticky.

Wrap popcorn balls individually in saran wrap to keep them fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment