Sunday, January 2, 2011

Potato Ham Chowder

I always have to get this recipe from my sister when I have leftover ham. I'm posting it while the chowder is simmering, so I'll have it next time!

1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 medium potato, cubed
1 cup water
1 packet McCormick Original Gravy Mix
2 cups milk
1 bayleaf
1-2 cups diced ham

Sautee onion in olive oil for about 3 minutes.
Add cubed potato and water. Boil for 5 minutes until potatoes begin to soften.
Combine gravy mix and milk, then add to pot.
Add the bayleaf, reduce heat to low and simmer 10-15 minutes.
Add ham last.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! Its been SO cold here lately, that I think we might have to try this one. Check out our blog for a delicious Turkey Wild Rice soup that we made this last week. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that a dry bayleaf? I've never used a bayleaf in any of my cooking. Does it need to be broken up or crushed before adding it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a whole dry leaf that adds flavor while it cooks. You remove the leaf before serving. I don't think it's a critical component if you don't have any.

    ReplyDelete