Friday, September 10, 2010

QUINOA: You've All Been Holding Out On Me

Who knew how yummy QUINOA was and didn't tell me?

I heard rave reviews about Karen's quinoa salad on Labor Day, so I ran right out [sent my hubby] to the local health food store to find some quinoa. Of course, he first had to Google it, because he was SURE I was pronouncing it incorrectly [I wasn't]!

Quinoa Salad with Mango and Black Beans

2 cups quinoa [
cook according to package directions]
1 mango, diced
1 cup green onions, diced
1 red pepper, diced finely
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained

Dressing
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp olive oil (or grapeseed oil)
2 tsp salt


I used a 50/50 blend of white and red quinoa.
Soak the quinoa for 15 minutes in cold water. Rub it well between your hands.
Rinse and drain about 3 times until the water runs clear -- this removes the saponin, which has a bitter taste (and can cause stomach problems...the saponin protects the seed while it grows, but comes off with a good rinse and scrub).

Bring 3 cups of water to a boil. I added 2 chicken bouillion cubes.
Add quinoa, cover tightly with a lid and simmer for ~12 minutes.
Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes.
Fluff with fork and let cool.
I learned the hard way that it's better to err on the side of under-cooking it, rather than over-cooking it. It can get mushy.


While the quinoa cooks and cools, dice the other ingredients and make the dressing.

Mix together the veggies and dressing. Add to fluffed quinoa. Fold in black beans.


Yum!

You'd better believe I'll be experimenting with more quinoa recipes.

I'm going to order some pre-rinsed quinoa on Amazon NOW.

5 comments:

  1. They sell quinoa at Costco here--perhaps there too? It is delicious. Try chopping a cucumber, adding corn (canned and rinsed is fine), can of black beans, diced avacado, red chili flakes, olive oil, and lime juice to cooled quinoa. Heaven. This recipe looks good. Thanks for sharing. (I saw it on Meg's blog.)

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love quinoa....unfortunately i've only found it at Cooks. Wish Wal-mart would carry it!
    I'm going to try the berry recipe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. KEEN-WAH Yummy. I've never cooked it myself, but I've had it a couple times. Thanks for the recipe! I think I can get some at TJs...and I've seen it at Costco too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we have some quinoa pasta from way back when we rhought asher had celiac disease. now i just need to find a reaason to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meg shared this with me yesterday. Last night on our way home we picked up the ingredients for it and I'm pretty sure this is all I've eaten for the last 24 hours ha! Delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete