Monday, April 26, 2010

Get Dehydrated Sourdough Starter - FREE

UPDATE---> Check out Carl's starter at the bottom of this post. Already looking awesome and bubbly after only 48 hours and two feedings. NICE!


So, there once was a guy named Carl. Apparently, he had a pretty killer sourdough starter. How killer was it? SO killer that, after he died, his friends committed to keep it going.

In fact, for the price of a SASE, you can get some of Carl's dehydrated 1847 Oregon Trail Sourdough Starter, although it could take up to six weeks. 'Carl's Fiends' is a group of rotating volunteers who check a P.O. box about once a week. When they have enough requests to make it worth their time, they mail a small sample (about 1 tsp) to anyone who sends a SASE.

Mine came a few weeks ago. I'd ordered it before I even made my own wild starter. I finally got around to reconstituting it tonight. That consisted of mixing 1/2 tsp dried starter with 1 Tbsp lukewarm water. [Important: Do not use tap water. Always use filtered or purified water to feed your starter.] Once it softened and dissolved I added 1 Tsbp flour. It should come to life and bubble after about 2-3 days of feedings. Cross your fingers. It'll be fun to compare his starter to mine.

If you'd like some, too, send a #10 44 cent SASE to:
Oregon Trail Sourdough
P.O. Box 321
Jefferson, MD 21755


2 comments:

  1. SASE in the mail! Thanks for that awesome tip. On pins and needles waiting to hear how it turns out....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine had about 10 tiny bubbles before I fed it at 24 hours. Crossing my fingers it'll be good and bubbly tonight!

    I have a bowl of both plain and cranberry walnut sourdough rising today and plan to bake them into 3 little boules tonight....VT treats. I hope it's yummy.

    ReplyDelete