Sunday, January 17, 2010

Focaccia Caprese

I think I may have died and gone to Tuscany! Is there ANYthing better than fresh basil?

I had some fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil in the fridge, and I immediately thought of bruschetta for dinner....but I didn't have any bread. I've made focaccia a few times in the past month and thought this could be a quick and easy solution to my missing ingredient.

It turned out to be the PERFECT solution. Jimmie said, "I think I could eat this EVERY DAY and never get tired of it." And THAT is the litmus test!



Start with a basic focaccia recipe.

1 package yeast
1 tsp sugar
1/3 cup hot water

2 cups flour
1 cup warm water

1 tsp salt
2 Tsp olive oil

Place the yeast, sugar and 1/3 cup water in a bowl and let sit for 10 minutes until creamy.
Add the yeast mixture to 2 cups flour in a medium bowl.
Add warm water 1 Tbsp at a time until a dough forms.
Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead for a minute.
Place in a bowl coated with oil and let rise for 30 minutes with a damp cloth over the top.
Preheat over to 475.
Turn dough out onto a floured surface and deflate, kneading into desired shape.
Place on baking stone or sheet, brush lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and any desired seasonings.

Bake at 475 for 10 - 20 minutes (depending on how crispy you like your bread).

I cooked mine for 15 minutes. It's not perfect. It stretched out larger than the baking stone and I squished it together to make it fit. This bread's got character.



While focaccia is baking, dice tomatoes, basil and fresh mozzarella cheese.


I found it easier to slice the bread with a pizza cutter BEFORE adding toppings.


Sprinkle with salt [the tomatoes will need it].


Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. i made this recipe the other day! thanks for posting it. it was YUMMY! jared's been asking for more.....
    i am going to try your frog eye salad next. don't tell Meg, but i've NEVER tried it!!!

    ReplyDelete